> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thanks Judy....
Login | Register

Thanks Judy....

Posted by David on February 6th, 2003 10:47 PM
In reply to basement to David by judy winkler on February 6th, 2003 10:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

....for the added information. It also aprises me of something I really wasn't taking into full consideration; you have a concrete block basement wall, where I was primarily thinking of poured.

The stone or gravel fill should have only been around the drain tile at the footing, maybe a foot up the wall at most usually. The soil backfill was what I had question about in terms of compacting, and especially now that I know it's a block construction.

If heavy equipment was used to compact the soil backfill, this can cause cracks, which might get worse over time.

If this were me, I would get in contact with the waterproofing contractor and ask that they come see what is happening, and also have an independent party in the structural engineering field look at this situation. You may wish to begin a file on this, with photos, dates, etc. so you can document any further motion which might be occurring.

If this is primarily hairline cracks, and it does not progress, things should be okay, but I would monitor this situation a while for any signs that the walls are on the move.

Best of luck; don't hesitate to ask further if I can help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC