> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thanks for the suggestions!
Login | Register

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by Tracy Murphy on December 27th, 2002 10:55 AM
In reply to Is your neighbor single? by Jason on December 26th, 2002 07:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks Steve and Jason!
I appreciate your comments!
No, my neighbor is not single, don't I wish :-)
I do have a friend in the area who is a general contractor who owes me favor, I may ask
him to suggest a ball park cost. I am also looking into getting the house inspected
before I start negotiating the price. If I can't figure the cost of all this work into the loan/selling price then no deal.
My current thought is that due to the unfortunate
death of the owner (who had no will to boot!) I may get a price low enough that
it would be a good investment even with the work needing to be done.
I do like the house, the lot is great, as is the location. The housing market in this area is
limited and prices are going up, so I am considering all of this as well.

The rotten wood looks to be what is covering the exterior base of the house (no sure what
the proper term is for that)... and may be more cosmetic than anything, but I sm not sure.
When the foot of snow on the ground melts a bit I'll get under the house for a better look.
At least the plumbing and electric is new within the past five years or so, and the roof is good!!

As for replacing the porches, I'd want to do that anyway (more bad wood), so more cost to figure in!
The thing I find odd is that the vast majority of older homes in this town do not have foundations!
I guess I never thought a foundation was optional! Some friends just purchased a two story victorian with no foundation!
Go figure.

I sure am glad I found this web site! I am a newbie to the world of home renovation (though a fast learner) and it is nice to have
this resource available!

I welcome anymore thoughts, warnings or comments!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC