> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > THANKS for the great advice...but I still have a few more...
Login | Register

THANKS for the great advice...but I still have a few more...

Posted by Kimberly on October 6th, 1999 12:44 PM
In reply to Help! Fixer Upper for first time home buyer by Kimberly on October 5th, 1999 05:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

questions! As far as region, I'm in Florida in an area where bungalows are popular and tend to go up in value. It seems the trend is to buy and upgrade while you occupy. This area has shown the value usually increases once some TLC has been performed.

Yes, I don't know most of the 'how', but I grew up with my parents buying and rehabing houses, so I do have a bit of knowledge. I definitely would get an inspector to check it out before buying it!

My main concern is the rough guestimate of cost for making changes as I described. I am willing to do it over time, but I am fearful of financially getting in over my head.

It has a small kitchen with a closed-in small porch off of it. The weight bearing wall separates the kitchen from the porch and used to be an exterior wall. But, another small enclosed porch was put on the opposite side (if that makes sense) of the weight bearing wall. There is a utility box (electric, etc.) that is on this weight bearing wall. I would hire a professional to move the utilities.

Would my 'plan' be feasible? If so, guesstimate a cost for a conservative budget (not with topnotch $$$ everything--more like $$). Also, the origianl owner had contacted an architect to draw up similar plans, but didn't indicate the cost of the project.

Thanks so much for all of your feedback on this. This would be my first home and I'm on a budget! Nothing has to be done immediately, as far as I'm concerned.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC