> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thanks For The Additional Info ...
Login | Register

Thanks For The Additional Info ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 20th, 2001 04:26 PM
In reply to Follow-up to BI-Level Inquiry by Sarah on March 20th, 2001 04:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI Sarah,

SOrry, but I think that 'successful landscaping' is a subjective evaluation as you're already finding out from your neighbors. One neighbors pleasure is another's eyesore.

IN any event, there are PLENTY of Landscaping-related Magazines out there. See Landscaping-related Magazine Listing on the WEB. I don't think this is ALL of them either.

Me, my personal opinion, is to OPEN up the front of the house. I happen to be proud of my home and wouldn't want to 'obstruct' it. It's a different matter if 'large brush' or large landscaping is 'complimenting' the home, but to kinda 'cover the home', well, that's what it's doing - Covering the home. So go with what YOU want. Besides, I think it's much more beneficial for the landscaping all around the home to benefit from sun, air, and rain. Overhanging trees, large trees, and other 'obstructions', then to block Mother Nature and at the same time, 'steal' her resources at the expense of everything else on your lot. For me, in this case, the heck w/the neighbors and let's see that home!!! Oh, nothing wrong w/a Holly Tree. Rip or move the one you have and get another one and don't let it get over-grown. There are PLENTY of books out there that tell you how to Prune Your Vegetation. At the same time, for example, if you want a Blue Spruce to be 12' in diameter at the base, then DON'T plant the 2nd Spruce 8' away. The 2nd Spruce would be planted 12' away. What I'm trying to say here is that try and figure out IN ADVANCE how high and/or wide you want a plant/tree/bush to be, and DON'T crowd them in at planting time (because they 'look nice when they're small.) Space them out. And try to have your FULLY-grown 'plant' no closer than 2' from the house, again, when you picture it FULLY grown (to your liking.) You want sun and air BEHIND your vegetation to keep the area closest to your home nice and dry!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: If you have any more ?'s and want more answers, either post a new question (at the top) or e-mail me directly. This particular post is getting 'buried' ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC