> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Thanks all for the info...
Login | Register

Thanks all for the info...

Posted by Ron C on March 13th, 2001 11:13 AM
In reply to Framing in basement by Ron C on March 12th, 2001 02:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

I thought since the outside of the foundation walls are insulated with 1" extruded foam, that I could get away with less effort doing the inside work. But, I guess there are other things to consider.

Let me try to sum up what you guys are saying:

1. Frame the wall & attach to floor using a treated board at bottom, & attach top to joists. Do not attach to block walls at all. Shim at floor and keep walls plum.

2. Nothing should be pressed directly against the block. Using 2x4s and 1" extruded foam insulation will provide about 2" of air gap between the block & insulation. Is this air gap preferred? I don't understand the idea of venting at top and bottem? I want to keep the inside insulated envelop (the room) sealed from the air gap between the concrete block & insulation. However, moisture will then find its way to the cold inside wall of block, because the room won't be 100% airtight. I guess I still don't understand?

My plan was originally to have the foam insulation and drywall pressed directly against the block wall because they look fairly plum. I thought that no air gap would prevent molds & mildew from growing. One of my primary concerns is preventing mold & mildew. Please say more about preventing moisture from condensing on the block wall and growing mold & mildew!

Thanks for all the input, & I look for more. What a great site!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC