> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tests and terminology
Login | Register

Tests and terminology

Posted by DanO Moderator on February 11th, 2009 05:19 PM
In reply to Overfill by ptcertmdt on February 11th, 2009 03:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Water level control by DanO on 02/11/2009
> Please clarify symptom you're asking about by DanO on 02/12/2009
> without any problem by DanO on 02/12/2009
> Previous service by DanO on 02/13/2009

** Kenmore Washer model 110.20842990 filled but would not agitate. **

What did the timer do at that time, progress to agitation and past or stick at the fill portion of the cycle and never move further?

** I thought that the fill switch was the same as the fill valve? **

"Fill switch" is very vague terminology.

It is the timer that initiates a fill by closing an internal switch contact, the water pressure switch (aka 'water level control') that stops the fill at the appropriate height and the water *valve* (at the back of the machine where the water fill hoses attach to) that opens or closes when electrically powered to allow or stop water from flowing into the machine.

** The fill switch is what I tested and it had shown good continuity on the multimeter. **

If by "fill switch" you're referring to the water level control, it is a SPDT switch with both normally open and normally closed contacts (see the following link). Which set of contacts "had shown good continuity"?

- How does a washer's water level control work?

* It now will not stop filling unless the machine is unplugged? **

Will it overflow if left filling or will it never reach the desired level?

If it will overflow, it sounds like the water level control is either not properly sensing the water level (maybe due to a problem in its air supply tubing) or it is not acting upon that information once received (ie. the switch is defective).

- Kenmore 110.20842990 Water Level Control

If water never reaches the level set by the water level control, that would be why it won't stop.

** The most relevant post to my problem is 90+ days old so figured I'd start another **

Glad to hear you actually followed the instructions or else most of the forum regulars would never had seen your message. So many fail to heed that message.

Dan O.
The Appliance Information Site

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC