> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Testing ...
Login | Register

Testing ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 16th, 2001 02:21 PM
In reply to testing for condensation by jim on January 16th, 2001 01:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jim,

I live in the NE too. In most 'normal' homes, whether the slab is above or below grade, the 'room' is usually a fairly constant temperature. Hence, in this scenario, time of year doesn't matter. HOWEVER, if Spring is the wettest time of year, and if you can wait, it would be fine to wait until them.

If, on the other hand, the slab is in, say for example ..., a garage that's not vented and is in direct sunlight where it gets a LOT of sun and the temperature INSIDE the garage fluxuates dramatically day to night, then you'd most likely have a moisture problem no matter what. In THIS scenario, the very warm air in the garage will hold more moisture, hence, as day goes to night, the air cools and condenses on the floor. At the same time, the slab may heat up and 'draw' moisture through it from below. This is an EXTREME case but exemplifies my point. This scenario, garage or basement or crawlspace or whatever, is 'bad' (so to speak), when it comes to finishing off the floor. Well, let's say it's not 'good' ...

I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but hopefully, it explains the inter-relatedness of temperature, moisture, and concrete. Remember, all concrete has moisture in it. It's the AMOUNT that you need to test for.

Here is some reading: Moisture in concrete, by Coronado Paints (read the LAST, major paragraph.) And read The ASTM-D4263 Concrete Moisture Test (although very formal, you can see what it takes to 'get it right'.)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC