> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Termites
Login | Register

Posted by Stegve on July 12th, 2000 08:37 PM
In reply to Termite Tent by Sharon on July 12th, 2000 07:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

Have an inspection and see what is damaged. I have an old wood house in South Florida that has had termites several times in its 70 year history and has had some termite damage and has been tented before. Some of it can be minor, (rip out the damaged wood and replace it) and some of it can be major(rip out a beam and more wood and replace it). Do I fear termites, no. There are stratigies you can use to prevent infestation and major damage. Termites need water and most of their damage results from wood soaked in water from a leaking roof or leaking plumbing. A healthy termite colony will eat about a half a 2x4 a year. There are great web sites that will help you understand termites, and you will also discover there are a host of other insects that destroy wood. Keep the house water tight, prevention is important, chemicals, if you want but I prefer moderate stratagies. And remember, If you live in a termite area, there is a chance that everything you look at, may have termit potential.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC