> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tell Me More about Cellulose vs FG
Login | Register

Tell Me More about Cellulose vs FG

Posted by Scott Crumley on June 13th, 1998 11:34 AM
In reply to Insulation by JT on February 12th, 1998 08:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

I too am in the process of insulating an old house that is about 80 years old. Balloon framed, open stud bays that can be accessed from the attic....there are cross supports that block some of the path to the bottom of the wall. I really don't want to put too many hole in my walls. I can take siding off pretty easy from outside. Is there a problem with pulling FG batting down these bays if there is not air/moisture wrap on the house. ie. cypress siding>air cavity between studs>bead board wall covering on inside of house. Most folks in Texas area where house is located take siding off at top middle and bottom and pull batting through cavity by attaching a board with ropes of wire pulls to bottom of the insulation and carefully pull it down to fill cavity. They then replace the siding. I am concerned about moisture penetration to cavity. Till I can caulk and repaint the exterior walls, I think water might be getting in. For that matter, is wall insulation in Texas really necessary. I have insulated the attic roof joists, and floor/ceiling joists. I will eventually insulate under the house. What do you think?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC