> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Telephoney...
Login | Register


Posted by Wick on July 24th, 2000 07:59 PM
In reply to Revive Dud Phone Jacks? by Jerry on July 24th, 2000 09:59 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jerry, first ALL electrical wiring is something to be wary of, however, telephone
wiring is very small voltage, and not anything to be concerned
with unless you are dealing with a wet environment. As for testing the wiring, use a
volt/multi-meter to determine if there is a current/continuitity from one jack to another.

Now, I'll take a wild guess on what the actual problems may be. First, the white deposits
could be stopping the current (i.e., just like on a car battery terminal with corrosion),
so clean this deposit off with steel wool or sandpaper. Second, quite often outlets will
be "daisy-chained" from one to another and if there is a disconnected wire after the good
outlet in the chain then every outlet downstream will be dead. To check this use your
multi-meter and check for continuity from one to another. If the span from one jack to the
next is too long for the connections on the meter, take a piece of wire to make the connection.

Finally, if the household had more than one active line at some point in time, then the second
set of wires would of been used and you would have to make some crossovers for the phone signal
to travel downstream.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC