> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Telephone WIring
Login | Register

Telephone WIring

Posted by Rick L. Smith on May 31st, 1999 07:22 PM
In reply to Telephone wiring by AJ on April 14th, 1999 08:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

There a several types of telco (I.W.) inside wire that has been used in recent years. The old twisted pair and ceramic knobs is found in turn of the century homes. Most of this type wiring is now gone. The two most common types today are called three pair I.W. One is White/Blue, White/Orange, and White/Green. Each of the Whites generally have a tracer with its mate's color. (Such as white with a blue tracer) The other type of I.W. (inside wire) is Red/Green, Yellow/Black, and White/Blue. (If two pair, then eliminate the white/blue.) Of the two most common types I have them in the proper order for pairs 1, 2, and 3. Red/Green or White/Blue will generally be the pimary pair for line one. This will only vary if there has been trouble with these wires (Short, ground, cross, etc...) If there are two lines in the house, then normally White/Orange or Yellow/Black would be used for line two.

Note: Most new homes that been prewired will have loops at each wall outlet. If any one of these has been cut, guess what? You won't get dial tone past any opens! If you certain you have done your wiring properly, then start looking for that hidden outlet that probably has two loose ends hanging in the breeze! I have known drywallers to cover outlets completely also. This may be a little too tuff for most novices without proper equipment.

Have fun, and remember... as we sat in the telco business, tip on the left, ring on the right, and that particular bathroom refuse won't go uphill!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC