renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tar paper...
Login | Register

Tar paper...

Posted by Jo Jo on June 23rd, 2000 12:01 PM
In reply to Damaged Roofing Paper by Charles on June 21st, 2000 12:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Charles,
I live in Florida... the sheathing has to be dry... It takes too long for it to dry once covered and can cause fungus and mildew...
Here it is code...
I was stopped while working soon after some rainfall by the code inspector who told me he wouldn't make me tear up the shingles I laid if I stopped long enough for the roof to thoroughly dry and not to let him catch me doing it again...

As far as the tar paper being torn or ripped...
We always replaced it because it makes it faster to lay the shingles if you don't have to mess with the paper... All bumps do not lay down we have to actually slice across the paper to help a bump lay down so we have a nice flat roof surface when the jobs done...
While re-roofing, if after tearing off and drying in we have to leave the roof until the next day.
We have to put wet cement on simplex nails that are not laying flat, any tears no matter how small, rap the edges of the paper over the sides of the roof and still cross our fingers....
Any one who is counting on the paper to keep a roof from leaking before or after the job is done is nuts...
The paper has nails holding it, and then it has the nails going through it that hold the shingles. None of the nails actually seal as far as the tarpaper is concerned... The tarpaper is there as "dry-in"... It may help as far as making a damper where two boards meet, but that was not the intention...

I personally think they should replace the dry-in that has been tore up by wind. The roof should be dry before laying the paper or shingles, it makes sense.
At a minimum they should lay the shingles on a dry roof.

My advice, be careful of what’s ahead... All the good roofers I know may not enjoy it but would do what it takes to make the homeowner happy and confident in the work being done. I can count their numbers on one hand in my area... Quantity before quality hurts the home owner but fills the roofers pockets...
The camera or video suggestion is a must... Don't take it for granted, even if you have to go to a rental center and rent one for a week (I rented a video recorder for $11 for one week at Renta-center) The roofers won't like it but it will help to protect you... Don't be shy you have the right.
You can tell them your doing it because a friend is thinking about doing their own roof or something... They don't want to hear that your video taping them because you may have to use it against them in a court of law... Sounds bad...

Jo Jo

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC