> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > tall order...
Login | Register

tall order...

Posted by jb on March 9th, 2001 10:56 AM
In reply to Painting metal cabinets by Mary on March 8th, 2001 05:10 PM [Go to top of thread]

I would think there is a good chance that the paint itself is not discolored and that you could find something to clean off any residues or bleach it to restore the original color. Have you tried washing with TSP or any paint thinner or specialty solvents such as "goo-gone", "oops" etc.? If it was from smoke residue you should be able to clean it off.

If you do end up needing to paint them then there is no magic wand treatment. Any good paint job requires correct surface preparation. This would mean washing with tsp, light sanding of all surfaces, dusting with a tack cloth, primer and finish coat(s). As for no brush strokes, you would need to have them sprayed. I know of some painters that specialize in painting stoves and refrigerators while still in the kitchen, using powerful fans in the window and sometimes electro-static paint etc.. Other than doing this, you might just unscrew them from the wall and take them to an autobody shop. I'm only saying this because it is very difficult to produce a "perfect" finish yourself, and impossible without going through "several steps".

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC