> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Tall door jams
Login | Register

Tall door jams

Posted by Bruce M on July 12th, 1998 10:02 PM
In reply to Replacing doors by Lorrie Ann Morales on July 12th, 1998 08:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Lorri
I think you mean door jams...yes. The door frame is the 2X wall framing around the door opening. The jam is what fits into the door frame and that the door opens and closes inside of.

If this is the jam, and it is 8'11" (truly an odd size), and you cannot special order it through your door supplier or lumber yard, then I would make my own, using kiln dried 5/4 (pronounced five-quarter) pine, spruce or doug fir from the local local lumber yard making sure it is kiln dried with moisture content less than 10% (6% would be best). To make an exact duplicate of the old one, you will need a table saw and a dado head cutter. Its too hard to try to expain each step here, but you will have to use the old one as a template, and make your new one exactly the same. I've done this many times on odd sized jams (usually because of the width), and it isn't that hard. Be sure to prime BOTH sides of the jam when finished. Oh, and make sure to have an exterminator treat your house for termites...don't want to do this again:-)

Hope this helps

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC