> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Take a valuum
Login | Register

Take a valuum

Posted by Jim -ATS on March 16th, 2000 08:16 PM
In reply to I Think You Missed This ... by Jay J on March 16th, 2000 07:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hey, the issue here is not water under the house, its rotten posts and beams, which are a result of water under the house. We have covered the issue that whatever the source, this guy should not have SO MUCH water under his house that he is rotting his structure, no matter WHERE he lives.

All assumptions aside, he should be making sure that there is no longer enough water in the crawlspace to rot out the structure. This may have been from negative slope, (also a common problem,) or it could have been from having a gutterless home, which I lean towards given he saw fit to install the gutters in the first place. For that matter, he may have had both problems, or my favorite, the leaking water supply line.

At any rate, in your effort to show me what you think I do or don't know, you missed the whole point. The point is, the poster needs to prevent further rot and undermining of his foundation and structural members, and FIX THE STRUCTURAL ROT!

This is the message I attempted to convey.

Please relax a little, and understand I am not trying to disagree with you, and no, I don't know local building practices in the area of Texas where you live. If you can get by without gutters, and as you infer your ground is so incredibly dry that you have to install soaker hoses, then I am glad to know you are able and knowledgable to deal with that. I know that Seattle's climate is not typical for the entire United States, but in the case of rotten wood, I run into it a lot, and I know what tends to cause it.

Your expertise is valued, please post where you think you can be helpful.

See you on the boards!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC