> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > synthetic decks
Login | Register

synthetic decks

Posted by bc on January 26th, 2001 11:45 AM
In reply to deck lumber-my 2 cents by bc on January 26th, 2001 11:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

I guess my problem with the synthetic deck materials is that you still have to build a substructure out of treated lumber and once you have gone that far, why mix and match. Also I haven't seen much of a choice for stairs and railings that match the decking and aren't priced out of the market.

I'd like to use some certainteed plastic decking but they don't have a railing that matches yet that I know of. I think trex may have some expensive railings but you still end up mixing with the wood substructure.

A good red heartwood redwood deck is nice but the wood costs as much as synthetic and it is hard to find some that isn't more white than red heartwood.

From posts I have read Steve builds good, solid decks. But he also has to deal with homeowners who are looking to save a buck and take bids from contractors and sometimes homeowners choose price over quality. You can spend an extra hundred bucks or more going from zinc plated screws to stainless steel and not all people want to pay for that either especially when there are too many deck builders bidding them in with zinc.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC