> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Switch
Login | Register


Posted by Roger on March 8th, 2001 11:06 PM
In reply to GFCI Switch? by Dave 225 on March 8th, 2001 03:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 2 people found this post helpful

The code where I am (Ontario) states that no switch or receptacle is to be located closer than 39.4" from the outer edge of a shower. Basically out of reach.
Any receptacles within 118" of a bath-tub, shower stall or sink must be GFI protected.
Only the bathroom receptacles are specified to be either a GFI-type outlet, or a standard duplex receptacle supplied with a GFCI curcuit breaker.
Based on this, if you need to put a GFI-protected SWITCH in, you have to use a GFCI breaker at the panel. I have never seen a GFI-switch before, maybe check the hardware store.
The code here says nothing about switches being GFI protected, it only specifies where they are to be located (which would have a lot to do with safety).
Hopefully that helps a little, though it's not really a yes or no answer, and the codes may vary (how much, I don't know).

Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

  • GFCI Switch by RktScience  3/9/01 12:17 PM (: 3, : 4)
  • correction by RktScience  3/9/01 12:19 PM (: 1, : 0)

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC