> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sure !
Login | Register

Sure !

Posted by Jason on January 19th, 2003 12:10 AM
In reply to Vinyl replacement windows by brian on January 18th, 2003 09:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings Brian,

The thermal break is part of the frame work of the window. I have seen windows that use all kinds of spacers between the glass and as long as the temps inside/outside reach that magic formular, they will fog up.

The moisture is already in the house and is looking for a way out. New windows tend to be very tight if installed right. Hence, the water can't get out and shows up on the glass. It is also on the walls, drapes, and couches and chairs, you just can't see it.

It is very common when the first cold snap hits that people that have bought new windows will have condensation until they find out what needs to be done to provide the right enviroment inside the home.

There is a tool called a sling sycrometer that measures the moisture in the air. Quartermasters in the USCG and USN use them to take weather readings, (or used to).

Some window manufacturers use this tool to demonstrate that it's not thier windows causing the problem.

Driving home tonight my cars thermometer read -6 but, I have proper venting and no condensation.

It's a safe bet that new windows will fog up just as much, if not worse, if the waters source is not found and reduced.

I hope this answer explains the reason that I can come right out and say that "JUST" replacing the windows will make the condensation worse?

Best regards,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC