> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sump Pump Question
Login | Register

Sump Pump Question

Posted by Andrew in NY on February 28th, 2003 11:01 AM

I have a 1958 ranch home on Long Island with a full poured concrete basement. When we first bought the house 5 years ago, we had some water come through the concrete basement floor and walls during heavy rains (especially in the winter). We have since re-graded the property away from the house, and installed new gutters, downspouts, and leaders. All of this has resulted in a dry basement - until recently.

As you may know, we had a blizzard 2 weeks ago, followed by a thaw and heavy rains. We came home to find that water had made its way through the floor (not the walls). Fortunately, we had an old carpet remnant in the area that soaked up most of the water and prevented it from running everywhere.

We will be finishing half of the basement this Spring (it was framed and paneled by the previous owner, and they also installed stick-down 12x12 vinyl or asbestos tiles). We will be having drywall walls, wainscoting, and carpeting installed. We have never had any water enter that side of the basement, only the half that will not be finished.

My question is, can I benefit from installing a sump pump in the unfinished half of the basement, and be somewhat confident that it will offer the path of least resistance for any potential water and prevent it from entering and damaging the finished side?

I know there are other options: perimeter drains, sealing the outside of the foundation, etc. but those seem to be overkill in my situation (and much more expensive and messy!)

Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC