> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stumped, but here's what I'd do...
Login | Register

Stumped, but here's what I'd do...

Posted by Jim Bachaud - Around The Sound on March 3rd, 2000 10:39 AM
In reply to molds?? by Lana on March 3rd, 2000 07:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have no idea what the specific mold is, I'm a contractor, not a biologist. Here's what I would do, however:

Clean EVERYTHING with your TSP and or bleach. If you are concerned about your floors, (you were, right?) then try warm water and vinegar, but don't let the water sit on the floor for more than a minute or two.

Go to your local rental shop and rent 1 dehumidifier for every 1000sf of home. This should be a box about 18"x18"x24"high with a plug and a clear plastic hose. Set the first one on the kitchen counter and stick the hose down the sink drain, or plug the sink up and watch just how much water this thing pulls out of the air.

Crank the heat in the house so you encourage the water to come out of everything.

Be careful. you don't want to dry it out too much, or you will dry out the floor to the point where it will crack open beyond what you are prepared to deal with, possibly damaging the finish.

Beyond all of this, look towards installing exhaust fans in the bathrooms, kitchen, and the possiblity of a whole house ventilation fan on a timer (this is part of the furnace, and should be installed by a furnace professional.)

That's it, my best shot. Other than that, if you have a local health department labratory, you might take a piece of something that has this mold on it and ask them to analyze it for you...

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC