> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stuck my finger in the socket!
Login | Register

Stuck my finger in the socket!

Posted by Jennifer in KC on March 14th, 2003 10:50 AM
In reply to Did we touch a nerve, Jen? by David on March 13th, 2003 10:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

This IS a subject that gets my dander up... and I tend to not be subtle about it! I cannot stand to see slip-shod work, and it would seem to me that the primary goal of "remodeling and decorating" shows today is speed. I have even heard the hosts jokingly admit that perhaps the quality isn't what one would want in "real life". Okay... so in what life are they doing these terrible things in people's real homes (probably the MOST valuable thing they will ever own)? The staples and hot glue they've used to hold things together won't make it past the first humid day... but I guess it looks good on camera at this mpment.

It particularly makes me cringe when I see them apply a layer of latex paint to a shelf, dry it with a hairdryer (!), and then immediately load it up with the homeowner's books and memorabilia. I'm glad I'm not there when the homeowner trys to retrieve one of those items! How stuck-fast do you suppose they get?

Typical of "Hollywood" (the town of my birth... so I know of what I speak), it's all about the perception. Reality has nothing to do with it. Until it falls down on your head, of course! (I wonder what kind of liability releases these people have to sign?).

I think that *** **** started a wonderful thing back in the 70s, because he used TV to try and teach the last 2 decades of homeowners about the appropriate way to accomplish something and improve the value of their property (even though in 30 years he really never has learned to plaster anything, has he? Ha!). It concerns me that we have now come full circle, and are using the same opportunity to teach today's homeowners it isn't important to do anything of quality... it only has to stay together long enough to get the shot.

My sister and I have often joked that we should do a TV show called "How To Tell S--- From Shinola", but we don't think we could sell it in this day and age!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC