> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > STUCCO PAINT - THINGS I'VE LEARNED, SO FAR!
Login | Register

Posted by Dusty on May 1st, 2003 05:20 PM
In reply to Elastomeric paint by Elizabeth Cooper on September 21st, 1998 01:26 AM [Go to top of thread]

40 of 41 people found this post helpful

I have been researching different paint options for stucco. Our house was just built Nov. '02 and I hate the color of my stucco with my brick. We don't need an entire stucco job done but rather just a color change. I've heard good and bad about Elastomeric paint so I wanted to do more research before making a decision. Here's what I've found out so far, hope it helps someone...

First, I've been told that if your house was stucco'd using the chicken wire technique then it isn't real breathable to begin with compared to other techniques (something to do with the concrete or something) so worrying about the breathability of the Elastomeric shouldn't be a huge concern anyway. Second, I called Sherwin Williams and spoke with the manager and he did confirm that the Elastomeric is not as breathable as if you just had it restucco'd but that it is still a good option. He said it could trap water if it gets under there to begin with but that the Elastomeric does act as a barrier to keep water from entering at all. My personal guess then is that if anyone decides to use the Elastomeric that maybe it should be applied during warmer, dry weather as aposed to anytime after a recent rain or something so that there isn’t a chance that water is already existing behind the stucco and will end up trapped...just a thought. He suggested; however, an alternative that Sherwin Williams carries which is called "Duration". It is a cross between a latex and Elastomeric that is very breathable, carries a lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, peeling, sun damage, etc. It will cost more but for this kind of job it doesn't hurt to pay more for the better stuff, in my own opinion. It's around $30+ for a gallon. The next step down from that is also a wonderful choice called “Super Paint Exterior” which is a latex paint and carries a 25+ year warranty against the same things, is also breathable, but would need to be reapplied sooner. It’s cost is around $20+ a gallon. The third thing I’ve learned, just in case any of you do not already know, is that when choosing between your finishes satin is usually the choice the contractors use. Fourth, I spoke with another stucco dealer and “Master Wall” carries the same exact stucco paint contractors use, but without the aggregate mixed in. It’s called “patch coat”. The guy said it’s the best choice all around and is breathable with all the same properties as when you have the original stucco applied. They can pretty much custom tailor your color choice as well. The guy is checking on the prices for me so I can’t help you there. If anyone is interested in finding a dealer of it I can’t promise to be much help in that direction either other than to let you know I reside in Utah and LKL Associates referred me to Master Wall to get the specific information on this product. And last thing, if you are looking for a more unique custom color option there is a company, who’s name I do not remember, that can supply paint used primarily on Adobe style or Italian Villa style stucco’d homes/buildings. It is a two-tone type of finish (when diluted) and looks beautiful from what I can tell from their website. The number is 866-452-9982. The website address is, click to the left on “faux finishes” and then on “Velatura”. You can also goto to see this product and color examples. You’re definitely going to pay more for this but it is truly beautiful and unique. They measure by liters and one liter comes out to around $10.00. They can send you samples to test out on an area as well before you buy, they do charge for sample’s though.

Let me just point out that I am only a consumer and do not know jack. All of this information I’ve given you is what I’ve learned only through research and not personal knowledge and for all I know, I could have been misinformed, but if it’s at all useful to anyone else then I am glad to have saved you some time.

Mrs. Dusty Perez

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC