> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stucco leaks
Login | Register

Stucco leaks

Posted by Jeffrey Perry on May 13th, 1998 10:17 PM
In reply to Where is the leak? by Brian Ewing on May 6th, 1998 07:03 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

To Brian Ewing: The leaks have been at the tops of windows and bottoms. The top leaks were in three windows where the wallboard at the tops of the window frames became water soaked. One bottom leak was blamed on improper paper installation on a second floor window. Supposedly, the paper from the stucco installation was outside the paper placed when the windows were installed. This caused water to leak behind a copper roof of a bay window directly beneath. When the stucco trim was removed, placing a hose in this area caused water to pour in at the top of the bay window. All of the trim was removed 6 months ago and 3 windows were "reflashed." and the trim was replaced and recovered with stucco. The first heavy rainstorm right after this "reflashing" was done caused dripping of water from the top inside of one window and water stains from the 2 other windows. Lately, I noticed dripping in the bay window (same area as before). Also, water poured into the basement under a first floor window where trim had separated and cracked a small amount from the wall. Mold was growing in this area. The builder just reset this same piece of trim and there was no leak in the last rain. They also silicone caulked around all trim and said the problem is fixed. I don't believe so because this has been done several times in the last three years. I am wondering if the wood sheathing may be rotting underneath the stucco, especially after reading about problems and lawsuits in North Carolina and other places. Construction of this house was completed in March of 1995. If you have any suggestions, please write back. Thank you for responding.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC