> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Structural Engineer, NOT a home inspector.
Login | Register

Structural Engineer, NOT a home inspector.

Posted by Jason on February 28th, 2003 08:07 PM
In reply to New Home Construction Problems by Jeff on February 28th, 2003 02:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings Jeff,

While inspecting a new construction home, I ran into a case where the heavy rains came prior to the siding being installed. The inside was all done and the water came in everywhere.

The builder tried to assure me that everything would dry out and be fine. NOT!

I had him hire a structural engineer to give me, in writing, a report of what needed to be done.

The result was that the drywall had to come down and the insulation had to be replaced. Wet insulation will never dry out and mold will be growing in the walls.

A home inspector will not carry the clought you will need to go to court if need be.

Yes, hire an attorney or if you are getting a mortgage, ask them to ensure that all the work is corrected before they release any more money.

Talk to the bank or lending company they should have an attorney to ensure that the builder can't back out of the deal.

Most importantly, take photos of everything!

Good luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC