> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Structural, Electrical, Plumbing, Heating.
Login | Register

Structural, Electrical, Plumbing, Heating.

Posted by Dodgeman on July 15th, 2002 12:33 PM
In reply to I want to make a hole (doorway) in the wall by homeschool3 on July 15th, 2002 09:38 AM [Go to top of thread]

Yo need to determine if the wall is part of the supporting structure for the building.(load bearing wall)It may be helping to hold up the roof. If so, you will need to install a header to bridge the gap where you remove studs to make the opening. You will also have to be careful that there is no wiring or plumbing in the wall. These are not impossible to deal with, but you don't want to be cutting a live wire or have to relocate plumbing if moving the opening slightly will make it not necessary.
You will also have to deal with a hole in the floor when you remove the bottom plate in the wall where the opening is going.
IF the wall is non bearing, and you don't have to deal with any wiring, plumbing, etc. The job is not all that difficult.
One other thing, you may want to check with your local building inspector to be sure you are not violating any local codes by doing what you want to do.
Good Luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC