> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > stripping woes
Login | Register

stripping woes

Posted by Mrs. Bean on March 8th, 2000 02:22 PM
In reply to Stripping paint by Henry in MI on March 4th, 2000 01:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm in the same boat - have basically an entire house to strip. However - I used the Citristrip (is that what you are referring to? The stuff that is non-toxic and makes your home smell all nice and orangey?) and the paint laughed at it. It did nothing and it was left on over night. It will work on paint that is younger, I suppose, but for layer upon layer, you're going to spend a LOT LOT LOT of money on that stripper. I'm using a heat gun, scraper and respirator - sure, it's time consuming, but the results are definitely worth it. Underneath all of that paint lurks beautiful oak trim and wainscoating! YAY! I love my heat gun! (If you decide to go this route, you absolutely MUST: send the wife and kids out for the whole day, ventilate REALLY well and purchase a GOOD ventilator - NOT a 'dust mask' or the like. Wear long-sleeves, pants, and gloves wouldn't be a bad idea either. Obviously, wear protective glasses and a bandanna or hat wouldn't be a bad thing. Either use some disposable overalls or wear really old stuff that you only use for dirty projects. Wash your hands and face before eating, drinking, smoking, etc. Heat-stripping is fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC