> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stripping pine floors
Login | Register

Stripping pine floors

Posted by Henry in Mi on June 6th, 2000 08:53 PM
In reply to Stripping shellac floors by Henry in MI on June 6th, 2000 05:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

I was hoping it would be you who answered.. I had read your responses to other wood refinishing questions and felt you might be of help. First, the shellac is thick and very uneven, previous owners shellaced around the area rugs, so in some places it is pretty ugly and thick and some places there is a ledge from layer upon layer. We would like to try to just remove the shellac and not sand down to bare wood, as we like the look of the aged floors and would like to preserve as much of that as we can. We would then apply an oil based poly finish to the floors.
As to the sanding, I am hesitant about using a drum sander on these pine floors and have looked into the Varathane system using the squar sander they offer, but they tell you that the shellac must be stripped prior to sanding.
Have you seen pine floors that have had the shellac stripped and sealed with poly with success? Can I sand all this shellac with this Varathan sander and get it off?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC