> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stripping paint from woodwork
Login | Register

Stripping paint from woodwork

Posted by Heather L on December 18th, 2002 11:56 PM
In reply to Removal of paint from wood trim by hy on June 30th, 2002 11:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a question about Peelaway. How long do you have to wait after stripping before you can finish the wood?

My husband and I have a house with a tremendous amount of wood trim that has an amazing number of layers of paint. We have to strip even if we are going to repaint because there are already eight layers in various states of disrepair. I do not think we could paint over what is there, even with deglossing or sanding, and expect it to not need repainting within a year. We may end up repainting some, but most we would like to restain.

I am not sure what kind of wood it is. I do not think it is pine, although I have been told that our floors are heart pine. The wood is reddish and has a moderate grain. It also has a "sweet" smell. The house was built in 1880 in Opelika, Alabama. Several other houses in our area (we are in a historic district) have mahogany mantles and fretwork. It is possible that the wood is mahogany, but I am by no means expert enough to say for sure.

Absolutely any advice would be very much appreciated. This house was not well cared for, and I am anxious to see it look loved once again. We have just had the whole house repiped and rewired, and we have replaced the roof (and some rafters). We are having heat and AC installed this week, so all that is left is to take care of the inside. We are planning to refinish all of the floors as soon as we take care of the walls and woodwork.

Thank you so much for any advice you might have (or just happy thoughts about how all this is worth it in the end... ;-)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC