> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > stripping moldings
Login | Register

stripping moldings

Posted by Henry in MI on August 21st, 1998 12:12 PM
In reply to Stripping Mouldling and Woodwork by Kelli on August 21st, 1998 10:27 AM [Go to top of thread]

Assuming that your moldings are the typical varnish or shellac with 87 coats of paint over them that are sometimes found in an old house, the normal solution is a product called Peel Away. This is a thick stripping solution which you cover with a provided paper-like material. The paper prevents the volitile solvents in the stripper to stay on the surface and not go into the air. Depending on the amount of finish build up, you can leave it on for 24 to 48 hours with no problems. It is available mail order from such sources as woodcraft and in some larger home centers. Most of the finish will come off with the Peel Away sheets but you will probably still need to get the gunk out of some cracks and crevises with such tools as brass brushes and dental picks. Be sure to follow the manufacturers direction, particularly as regards safety and disposal issues.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

  • source by Henry in MI  8/21/98 12:30 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC