> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stripping finishes
Login | Register

Stripping finishes

Posted by Henry in MI on July 17th, 2001 06:39 AM
In reply to stripping woodwork by Mom on July 16th, 2001 11:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

As you know, the active chemical in Strip-Eze and most other strippers is methyl chloride. Pretty much, one methyl chloride based stripper will act just like another. Personally, methyl chloride is too dangerous for me and I think that trading more working time for a safer product for me to use is a good deal. You might consider this, particularly if you expect to be a Mom again. You might find some interesting reading at .

Depending on the amount of paint, I use either Peel Away or Citristrip. How much you have to protect walls and floors also can be a big factor. As you probably know, it's pretty difficult to be totally neat through the stripping process. Regrettably, a couple of layers of paint will add to the time and difficulty with any stripper over the same amount of clear film finishes without the paint. The weather can also be a factor and too much (or too little heat) can have a big effect on the process. Not that you can move your moldings around much if you are stripping in place, but do try to stay out of direct sunshine if possible and working in a 65 to 80 degree temperature range works best.

I'm not trying to "plug" my site, because I don't get any money or anything else of value except trial quantities of new products (once), but there is quite a bit of info on stripping molding/woodwork at including a good video of the process and, I think, some good tips. Peel Away makes some darned good products and Hy is always around to answer your questions at The big reason that I will not take money for doing the Citristrip site is that there are times to use both products and I didn't want to be limited to just talking about one. I do know that there is already a lot posted at the Citristrip site about doing moldings and reading what is there should give you some good tips. You will probably get tired of reading the same safety warnings from me but if you do have problems, you will not want to strip finishes again. Having fun safely with your projects is a lot better alternative.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC