> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stringers or Stingers????
Login | Register

Stringers or Stingers????

Posted by Steve Jones on May 24th, 2000 06:38 PM
In reply to DECK STAIRS by JC on May 24th, 2000 02:32 PM [Go to top of thread]

JC, stringers are the best thing since sliced bread. They take all the computations and cutting out of the way.

First determine how manys steps you want. Stringers come in 2, 3, and four steppers.

There is a top and bottom, you need to know which is up and down. Otherwise, they will never work. Ask someone if you do not know.

I run stringers about every 2 1/2 feet, but 2 feet is fine.

How to mount to the facia part of the deck. Toenailing is not good and will work its way out with time. DO NOT TOENAIL THE STRINGERS TO THE FACIA BOARD.

Cut a 2 x 6 the width of space between each stringer. Fasten this 2 x 6 to the facia board considering the fact that a 2 x 6 will set on top of the stringer first step so you need to fasten this 2 x 6 down the width of the 2 x 6 step.

This means fasten this 2 x 6 support down 1 1/2 inches from the top of the deck.

Now take the stringer and nail the top part to the side of this 2 x 6. Nail a couple of nails directly into the 2 x 6 's end and some on top toenailed into the facia board.

Now do the same with the other side.

One pointer that I have learned, even with Wolmanized wood, place the bottom of the stringer on a brick or something that is off the ground and that is very stable.

Now, do this all along the facia board of the deck and mount all the stringers at your designated spacing.

When done, begin planning on the laying out of the steps. I usually put 2 each 2 x 6's on each step or tread. This makes for a 11 inch step.

Where you have to splice a step, make sure that it is cut to split the difference of a stringer board. if necessary scab a board to the stringer top step or any step to make the area more stable and stronger for a step splice.

I use a 5/4 deck board to cover the riser section so that you do not see under the step to the underside of the deck. This just makes the step look neater and finished out.

This should get you on your way. use a lever periodically to make sure that you are level on each step.

Good Luck,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC