> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Steel kitchen cabinets
Login | Register

Steel kitchen cabinets

Posted by Henry in MI on May 9th, 2001 08:04 PM
In reply to White Metal Cabinets(1962) by Becky on May 9th, 2001 05:33 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Becky. After a lot of digging, I was able to locate a site for a comteporary competitor of theirs. All the other ones that I know of are gone and there were quite a few near the Youngstown, Ohio steel mills. Go to and then e-mail them at their "contact us" section. Might be an old timer still around that knows. I think that yours were made in Geneva, Ohio.

Please remember that all paint does not have to be shiny. Since all it takes to flatten paint is a little powdery addition, a semi-gloss or flat paint can still hold up well. Also remember that there are some coatings that can be applied in an industrial setting that can not be used by do-it-yourselfers. They are just too dangerous. If you really want shiny cabinets, the most that I would do is to clean the surface and put a couple of coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on them. With the age of the paint, I think that Steve's method is to severe. If you are starting to see rust, that is a different problem.

Believe it or not, there is quite a bit to and quite a bit of work involved in repainting or restoring old metal kitchen cabinets. Steve is definately right that there is probably a lot of build-up of oil and grease and dirt that has been building on the surface for years so you would want to get this off first. Try Simple Green if you can find it or 409. Check anything you try in a hidden spot inside a cabinet first.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC