> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Steamers
Login | Register

Posted by KarenDawn on July 31st, 2001 02:30 PM
In reply to steamer to remove wallpaper by Rebecca on June 28th, 2001 05:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

I just posted some of my wallpaper removal comments at the top of this BB... For what it's worth, after MAJOR stripping of 3+ painted over rooms, I came to the conclusion that the steamer didn't provide any real advantages.
As Steve noted, it is a BIG project. If you think you may say "forget this nonsense", try it is an inconspicuous place. I committed myself to it because I'm probably crazy, but oh the feeling of satisfaction. My method of choice(after getting myself psyched up to tackle it again):
1.) score the walls (I prefer an X-cato knife over the Tiger but have used both)
2.)spray them with the solution of choice: DIF or even the solution mentioned by Galan- both have worked for me, depending on the paper/paint/surface
3.) VERY IMPORTANT: give the "juice" time to do it's thing; work in small sections
4.) become one with the act of scraping ;-)
This can be done a little at a time. (I've been in my house for 10+ years and have removed paper from 3 bedrooms, the upstairs landing and down the steps to the first floor.) I've finished (repaired/painted) 2 of the 3 bedrooms. I have yet to clean/refinish the remaining bedroom walls and landings and still have to strip the living room and dining room. I'm doing this on my own, however and also have a "day job"...
The satisfaction of seeing the FINISHED rooms is major!
Good luck if you decide to do it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC