> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Start With ...
Login | Register

Start With ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on February 25th, 2001 06:10 PM
In reply to basement floor by Daniel on February 25th, 2001 10:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like the house has some interesting character. If you want to just 'talk' to some people about it, look for your Local Preservation Society. I'm sure that some of the members have been down your road already. And Structural Engineers and Professional Architects should be able to get you through this job. DO ask them for experience and references in doing similiar work.

I will say that it's not cheap work. It's labor-intensive and you are using serious Professionals in this type of work. Also, they may make your project BIGGER than you want. I have the feeling they may try to talk you into digging out the basement a little. ANd perhaps they may want you to consider a poured foundation too. Do ask them why but you might want to hear them out.

And lastly, with the water you're describing, you do want to rectify that BEFORE you do any work because it will ruin your finshed basement. You might want to consider talking to your Insurance Agent too once the work is finished because the 'value' of you home probably shot up. Others will say more so stick around a few days.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC