> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Standby generator
Login | Register

Standby generator

Posted by Brian Wood on August 8th, 1999 07:26 PM
In reply to Wiring a generator to my house by Brian T. Zickefoose on August 8th, 1999 12:45 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Dear Brian: There is a very simple way to do this, but first, a very important word of caution.
Your breaker panel MUST have a main breaker or disconnect between the panel and your meter. OK so far? 1. Does your generator have 240v & 120v outputs? Yes? Go to 2. 2. If the above is yes, then use the 240/120 output (four blade recp't) which requires a four conductor cable. Colours should be red, black, white & green. These are 120v, 120v, neutral & ground respectively. OK so far? Wire your 4 pin plug according to the instructions, then find a vacant two-pole slot in your breaker panel. Found one? Good. Buy a circuit breaker rated about 10% higher than the output of your gen'. Install it, (in the off position) & connect the red & black wires to the terminals of the new breaker, white wire to the neutral bar, & the green wire to the ground bar, both of these bars are on either side of the inside of your breaker panel. Ready to test it? Start the gen' & let it warm up for a couple of minutes. Move the throttle from start to run, turn all two pole breakers off, turn the main breaker off. You're now in the dark, right? Turn the breaker on which brings power from the gen'. Go out to gen' & turn on the generator breaker, your gen' should grunt (mine does) then feed power to your panel. I don't know how big your gen' is Brian, but I would size it so that it will feed at least your AC & heating system, plus your lights. If this for emergencies only, I would turn the AC off & water heater breaker on for the duration of your hot water needs, & vice versa. If you have the money, get a big gen' & an automatic generator changeover panel, connected to your main panel, it's less hassle. Lowes & Home Depot sell them. Good luck, Brian, Brian.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC