> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stair tread replacement
Login | Register

Stair tread replacement

Posted by Henry in MI on February 10th, 2001 12:55 AM
In reply to Stair tread replacement by Frederick on February 9th, 2001 06:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Frederick, I did a tread replacement and it came out real well but not glue job. With the thickness of the treads, more than an inch, just gluing them over old treads will mess up the height of the first step and the last step and possibly give you problems with matching floor height on the upper floor.

Pre-milled treads are available but I picked the oak lumber and had the lumber yard plane it. Then I cut it to rough length and milled the bullnose with a router. Finishing was sanding, staining, and 3 coats of oil based poly. Installation was easy with cutting to exact length, predrilling and nailing. Then I filled the nail holes with the soft Minwax colored filler. This matched pretty well and was almost invisible but I followed up with a dot of poly on each nail hole to make the gloss match.

On this particular install, I did have a problem because the bottom step actually went into the door casing for the door at the base of the stairs. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off disk to cut out for the thicker treads than the old ones that were there. This was kind of an unusual situation but it may give you an idea how to handle an unusual situation on your install.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC