> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Stained old pine floors
Login | Register

Stained old pine floors

Posted by Cindy B on February 2nd, 1999 03:04 PM

We have just had the carpet pulled up in our dining room and the old finish sanded off of the floor. The house is a 1914 Arts & Crafts with longleaf pine floors. These boards are narrow, tight-grained, and run the length of the room (17 feet) without a break. The trouble is a former owner had an area rug (the floorman thinks it may have been a piece of linoleum) in the center of the room that for some reason has caused a dark stain that measures 10' X 12' and takes up most of the floor space. The contractor has told me nothing can be done about this spot, and after the sanding the stain did seem to lighten. However, with the first coat of polyurethane, the stain came out in a big way. I have stopped the work on the floor at this point. My question is, will wood bleach take the stain out, once we remove the coat of polyurethane that has already been put down? I don't want to replace this floor unless I have absolutely no other choice. We have had one room done to great success and the floor in there is gorgeous. Any suggestions? I don't think this is a pet stain, unless it was a mighty big animal.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC