> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > spruce flooring
Login | Register

spruce flooring

Posted by Sean on January 4th, 1999 10:51 AM

A few years ago I put down spruce t&g as a finished floor. The wood was not seasoned properly so the joins opened up over time. Nonetheless it did turn out quite well.

In the meantime, I have built a new house. It is along the style of homes built by the wealthier fish merchants in the area. The style is about 100-125 years ago. In keeping with the look, I am planning to lay down 6 inch wide spruce t&g. It has been drying in my attic now for over 5 months (properly racked) and I plan to put it down next month. I was planning on blind nailing the tongues with flooring nails while face nailing with rose-head wrought iron nails (1.5 inches long). Right now I do not have stress grooves cut in the back of the boards - but this can be done if necessary.

Should I think about using adhesive in conjunction with the metal fasteners? If so, how should it be applied? Will the nails hold well enough, or should I use drywall screws (as I did before) that will be covered by plugs? Any comments or suggestions on these particular matters or anything on laying plank spruce flooring would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC