> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Speedbumps from hardwood floor warping
Login | Register

Speedbumps from hardwood floor warping

Posted by Steve F on July 7th, 2001 01:54 PM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I just purchased a 2 year old house in San Diego in November 2000. The downstairs is mostly hardwood floor. Since I am the 3rd owner of the house, I am not sure who installed the floor, but it appears to be glued down Harris-Tarkett Longstrip on top of a post-tensioned concrete slab.

There has always been a little flex in some areas, but in the last week or so, a couple of "speedbumps" have developed. A handful of the boards (8 to 10 inches in width, 10-15 feet long) have separated from the floor, but are still attached to each other. When you step on them, they flex down to a fairly normal position, but pop back up to have the same air bubble. The strips on either side of the bump seem to be glued down fine.

I am a couple of miles from the beach. The weather has been warmer lately during the day, but also tends to be overcast in the mornings and evenings. It drizzled a couple of days ago, but otherwise it has been basically rain-free for a month or two. The biggest bubble is near the screen door that I usually leave open during the day and evening.

From what I have read, this is usually a moisture or mis-installation problem. Should I be worried about dampness under the floor? Is a pipe leaking? Is there a way to fix this without removing the floor? Having no idea about the history of the floor, what approach should I take to get it fixed (Home warranty wont cover floors)? Can I prevent this from happening in other places of the floor?

Thanks for the help!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC