> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sounds like you are making progress...
Login | Register

Sounds like you are making progress...

Posted by Steve: on October 9th, 2001 02:56 PM
In reply to texturizing ceiling after removal of "popcorn" by Michelle on October 9th, 2001 01:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

I told you that the removal process is very messy. But that part is over. Now first of all, the ceiling must be completely dry. This is important.

Once dry, I would prep it with a good primer. Zinser products are great. This will seal the work and make for a good foundation for the next process.

Now, there is an additive that you can add to a gallon of paint and make a roll on textured look. It just called paint additive texture. I have used it and it does work good, BUT, you have to constantly keep the stuff mixed up well as it has a tendency to settle and you can get erradic applications on the wall if not careful. What this looks like when finished is like someone placed heavy grit sand in your paint mixture. Its the size of ???? shall we say crushed rock salt. It does expand to a small degree when applied and dried.

This makes the paint very thick thus reduces the can's coverage greatly.

This process does texturing and painting in one step.

If this is not the choice, then get some fast drying mud and water it down and then roll on the stuff to the ceiling then when rolled on and before drying, get a crow's foot brush applicator and start going. Apply the mud with a 1 inch very heavy roller cover then float it out with a float, then make the texture. This needs to dry for a good day or so depending on the outdoor humidity, then you need to prime this and paint it. Your done.

The paint additive is the easy and fast way to go. Here is what I would do, buy a small school milk carton of the additive and buy a gallon of "oops" paint. then buy a half sheet of rock and paint, ROLL it on and see how you like it. Nothing lost but about $10 and 1/2 hour of your time.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC