> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Soundproofing a Condominium
Login | Register

Soundproofing a Condominium

Posted by Chris Smith on December 14th, 2001 05:48 PM
In reply to Soundproofing a condominium by Mike on December 13th, 2001 05:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Mike - As far as noise barriers, mass stops noise. I used 5/8-inch plywood over a window one time, and it worked great (my wife didn't care for it, but at least I could sleep). I fastened 2x2s to the wall top and bottom and put window sash clamps on the plywood. Then I just pulled the drapes over it. You could put in a plywood ceiling and plaster over it. There's also a commercial noise sheet I've seen at Home Depot.

As far as behavior modification, I've seen this type of thing before, and resolving it depends on who you're dealing with. You can actually call the police and charge the person with disturbing the peace. A friend of mine did this, and it worked. He made a citizen's arrest and turned the individual over to the cops. It was prearranged with the police department. They couldn't make the arrest because they hadn't witnessed the crime (disturbing the peace is a misdemeanor). When the court hearing came up, he had to appear before the judge, who sided with my friend and fined the individual several hundred dollars. The person later kept the noise down. You could also file a small claim suit against the person and seek damages up to $5,000 (dpending on the state). This is particularly effective if you can team up with another person in the building who is also bothered because you would have a witness (can also have a second person in your home appear in court to corroborate your story).

In Denver, my girlfriend had a noisy problem neighbor who wouldn't respond to our complaints. Out of desperation, we turned the speakers against the wall, put on a country western station, turned the volume up, and left for the weekend! We never had any more trouble from next door after that! This is true.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC