> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sounding Off (again)
Login | Register

Sounding Off (again)

Posted by Scott on January 9th, 2003 08:25 PM

Before my DSL Modem was ripped-off(Daughter had a party when the wife and I were gone)plus a few other things,I was going to relate a really scarey and sad story of DIY gone wrong.

My cousin told me of a man in her church who is a union electrician going to save alot of $$$ by putting a second floor addition on his house himself and help from some friends.

Got the roof and rafters torn off and covered the exposed ceiling joist with plastic for the night.It rained for two days.

Second night the wife was putting the two children too bed, she heard a cracking noise and the ceiling started caving in on them.

Screaming too her husband, she grabs the two children and with drywall and water falling down on them runs to get out of the house!

They all got out alive,a few bumps is all, but standing out in the rain they watched as their house literally fell apart.

The weight of the water colecting in the plastic cover took out the drywall on the ceiling,some of the joist broke taking a few walls with them.The village condemned the house.

Now,sure a second floor addition is not something most DIY would tackle themselves,But the really sad part of this story is that because the DIY'er wasn't licensed or INSURED and had NO PERMIT his homeowners insurance refuses to pay for the damage!!!

They are staying with family and friends and the the church is helping out.

I hope this story could be a caution too all.Luck

P.S. Nice to be back on the Board again
Belated Merry Christmas and Hope it's a Happy New Year from the Baldwin Family

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC