> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sort Of ...
Login | Register

Sort Of ...

Posted by Jay J on August 26th, 1998 08:47 AM
In reply to Shutoff valve for washing machine by C. Kelly on August 25th, 1998 10:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

I solved a similiar problem.

I had to cut the 1/2" copper pipe that ran from the 3/4" line to the washer machine and install ball-valve shut-offs. I don't know of anything that's made to hook directly to the washer machine, the supply lines, or the copper pipe to allow you to shut off the water. Perhaps someone out there knows of something. Again, I had to install my own ball-valve shut-offs.

Until I did this job, I shut off the main supply at the water mater. I didn't like doing that so I installed the valves. One tip for you. Since it's likely you or someone you ask is going to be installing shut-offs, I suggest you don't use gate valves. Use ball-valves. Also, when sodering, after you cut the pipe, if possible, pull down just a little on the supply-side of the cut pipe to make sure all the water is out of it. You see, when you heat the pipe for soldering, water will be drawn to the heat and you'll get steam. This effect will prevent a 'clean' joint. So you need to get the water out of the pipe. You'll more than likely have to shut off the water at the meter to do this. One trick plumbers use is they stuff a piece of a piece of bread in the supply-side pipe to prevent water from being drawn to the heat source (if there's any residual water in the pipe). When the soldering is finished, water pressure will soften the bread and push it through the line. Just be sure the 'other end' is emptying into a bucket and you eventually see the bread. You don't need much bread! Oh, and be sure to also empty out the water on the 'downhill' side of you pipe cut too. Don't forget to turn on the main, VERY SLOWLY, when you're testing the flow.

My best to ya and hope this helps. It's a small world when you (really 'I') know 2 homes that had water in the basement from supply hoses that broke. In both cases, they were hard and brittle. You should change them every few years because there isn't anything preventing the hoses from breaking while you're doing a wash and you're home!!! If the hose is not soft (like when you buy it), replace them BOTH. The heat and the cold will wear out the hose over time. They're not that expensive.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC