> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sorry to be so late on this. Is this a new construction situation?
Login | Register

Sorry to be so late on this. Is this a new construction situation?

Posted by regina in IL on May 19th, 2000 09:54 PM
In reply to Damage to pre-finished wood floor boards by Robyn on May 16th, 2000 02:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

I ask that because of your statement about the "closing" being the next day. If so, is the contractor who did the floor the same as the contractor who built the house, or a sub? Sometimes going to the general contractor who used the sub can be useful--they don't like to have their name besmirched by a careless sub. A little extra pressure wouldn't hurt here, since the guy has been less than cooperative. The same can be true of the manufacturer. So that's yet another avenue to try.

I'd advise you the same as Jim-ATS did--start out politely but firmly asking when they will be there to repair all the various problems with the floor. If he "can't understand" why you don't want glue and putty on your floor, then you'll have to become somewhat more than polite and firm. Did your attorney for the closing know about this situation? Perhaps that individual would be willing to write a letter on your behalf demanding a cure of the problem, without charging you for it, since frankly, he/she really shouldn't have let the closing go through with this problem out there--even if it meant aggravating you a little. I have pushed a client to wait it out on more than one occasion, and they were ultimately glad, even if it was an annoyance. A letter on the attorney's letterhead can often be worth quite a lot in the persuasion category--it implies a willingness to sue, which most folks try to avoid having done to them.

I, too, have assumed you already paid this guy in full--however, if that assumption is incorrect, then stop paying until it's properly fixed. Feel free to e-mail me on the progress. I'll try to walk you through it from afar.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC