> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sooo many questions, but maybe a couple of answers...
Login | Register

Sooo many questions, but maybe a couple of answers...

Posted by Wick on August 10th, 2000 07:17 PM
In reply to sceening in a porch by Claudia on August 10th, 2000 11:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Claudia, with so many questions I'd have to recommend that you contact a professional with the
EXACT same questions. However, if this is something that you REALLY want to undertake
yourself, then here's a few answers. Screen comes in 2' and 4' widths, the material (metal or synthetic)
is basically a mute point, and simply put the width/height is relatively easy to figure out as far as which
one will withstand the most wind, etc. Here's what I did years ago, I bought the 4' screen, made vertical
posts every 2' and horizontal cross-members waist high. The screen was stapled to "EACH" horizontal and
vertical member every couple of inches, then covered with a thin 2X which was nailed/tacked into place
on the exterior of each member. By utilizing the 4' wide screen, but attaching every 2' created an sounder
structure from the wind. Think of it as kind of like doubling-up on the strength, instead of 2 2' sections
per vertical the stress is distributed across the 4' width (sorry, I can't really express this adequately
in type). Anyway, that's what I did back in 1983, and everything is still intact.

Finally, one thing to check out is in *** ****'s FAQ section, they list a company that specializes in
screened in porches. Just click on FAQ's to the left of this post. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC