> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sometimes both answers are right!
Login | Register

Sometimes both answers are right!

Posted by Henry in MI on January 16th, 2001 06:12 PM
In reply to let me tell you,.... by Steve: on January 15th, 2001 06:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have replaced a couple of the luan slab doors in our house with oak faced slabs. This is pretty easy to get right if I just use the old slab door as a template for trimming the new door, mortising the hinges and drilling for the lockset.

If I replaced the jamb too, I would have to remove and replace the casing, level and plumb the new jamb, etc. and then remove the hinges from the new door for finishing. I might still have to trim the bottom of the new door to match the carpet.

In both cases, I am not allowing the week or so for me to finish the new door with a couple of coats of stain and poly. But doing it this way, I can keep using the old door until the new one is ready. If I would pull the jamb, I probably would not have a door in place at all until that last coat of poly was dry. I recognize that the cost of the pre-hung is only a little higher but even that adds to the negatives for me.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC