> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sometimes a bad ground
Login | Register

Sometimes a bad ground

Posted by Ron C on November 1st, 2000 12:00 PM
In reply to Faulty Water Heater by Stephen Deutsch on November 1st, 2000 11:50 AM [Go to top of thread]

This works on the same priciple as electric start furnaces.

There is a sensor that must detect a flame or the gas is shut off and the system goes into an error state. Typically, if you remove main electric power then plug in again the system resets.

Many systems use a sensor probe that measures electrical conductance throught the flame. Apparently, a flame can conduct a very small amount of electrocity. This senses whether the system ignited the gas or not. This is a safety mechanism to prevent explosions due to malfunction.

Well, if there is a bad (even poor) ground to the appliance, it won't function right. Also can lightly steel wool the probe for better electrical characteristics.

I learned that the probe in my Trane XL80 was recalled because it was not bent properly to come in contact with the flame. The furnace man gave mine a little more bend so it came in better contact with the flame and cleaned it with light steel wool. Nevere had another problem...

However, without seeing your appliance I cannot guarantee it works this way...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• and by bc  11/1/00 12:42 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC