> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Somebody has to do it!
Login | Register

Somebody has to do it!

Posted by Norm C. on March 27th, 2001 11:35 PM
In reply to Cementing Posts on a Privacy Fence by Marcie on March 27th, 2001 03:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

I love fences. I hate to install them ... but somebody has to do it! In the South and Southwest, we have to contend with lots of rain and with a variety of critters that eat wood. In my view, if you go to the expense of doing a fence, you need to go all out and do it with the idea that the fence will be there for many years. So, choose the best materials, according to your budget. Lumber grades are important. Try to get fence boards that have no knots or have only very tight knots. Use aluminun nails. Predrill the boards and rails to make the nails go in easier. (Keep the hand-held drill handy) Use pressure-treated pine for the fence posts and rails. Cement the posts in the ground, and make a small mound of cement (about 2 inches above ground level)at the base of each post, to minimize standing water causing the posts to rot at the grass level. Take you time. Drink lots of lemonade. When it is all done, you'll have sore muscles (for sure) and will be proud of the results.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC