> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Thoughts ...
Login | Register

Some Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 13th, 2001 08:31 AM
In reply to Framing in basement by Ron C on March 12th, 2001 02:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Ron,

I just have 'comments', mostly, (while you're asking ...) As with Ed's comments, I too think you're better off not attaching your studwork to the wall for the reasons stated. I'd frame it about 2" OFF of the wall to allow some air to pass behind the wall. This will help 'vent' some of the moisture that you might get through the wall. I know you sealed them but, in time, you may get some moisture pushing through there. Also, there's the floor. Usually, 1 vent is installed at the bottom of the wall and a 2nd one at the top. Start by putting 1 pair in each wall.

NOW is the time to run any special wiring through your ceiling joists. For example, IF you think some day you'd like a separate run to the attic from the breaker box, now, I'd coil up some wire near the breaker box and run it through the joists and coil up the rest at 'the other end' where you'd fish it up to the floor above, and possibly up to the attic. The same goes for CATV if you have it in the basement. Also, when you finish framing, there too run phone and cable lines to EACH wall. You never know when you migh rearrange things and wish you had an outlet on a 'different' wall than you originally planned. And lastly, one thing that always comes to mind when finishing a basement is sewer and public water 'issues'. What I'm saying is to 'think ahead' as to what you might do to prevent/alleviate damage from problems resulting from either 'source'. Most DIYers that install a bathroom, for example, in a finished basement don't realize that they MAY have created a new 'path of least resistance' for sewer backups right into their new basement! My breather vent is about 4' above my basment floor. If I were to put in a standard potty down there, I've created a new 'vent'. Soooo, what I'm saying is that if you're OK with having a sewer mess in your basement, you needn't do anything. But if you want to prevent that, get either a pressure-flush toilet or a one-way ball stop cock to prevent backups. I'm sure you're familiar w/all this (but maybe one of our 'readers' isn't ...)

Oh, another thing I noticed in newly-finished basments (that really weren't meant to be finished) is that the stairs are now narrower and you don't have the 'original turning radius' any more at the base of the stairs (assuming your stairs are up against a wall.) I just thought I mention that. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC