> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > some thoughts...
Login | Register

some thoughts...

Posted by jb on August 30th, 2000 10:55 AM
In reply to laminate top with air pocket by Randy Thiel on August 30th, 2000 08:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

My guess is that you might have goofed while putting the laminate down and created an air pocket. Sometimes for small jobs like this I start with the slats method and then hold up the loose end fairly high to induce a sort of "fold" as I roll this bent section right across the surface while rubbing the laminate as I go. I have never gotten an air pocket this way. My other major trick is to ALWAYS coat the laminate and the substrate with two coats of contact cement. It never fails that way.
As for what to do now?.... The only way to remove the air is to drill from below. The trick would be not drilling through the laminate and not getting a large "burr" or any sawdust up in between the laminate and the substrate. I would try at least a 1/8" diameter bit with a stop collar on it to prevent it from going too far. Then experiment with scraps to make sure it doesn't go too far. I guess you could try forcing some glue down there but my bet would be to gently heat it from the top to re-melt the glue. I have used this method to remove laminate before as it sort of melts the glue, but I am not positive that it will successfully re-adhere, so again, I would experiment on a scrap piece. GENERAL NOTE: I have never tried to do these things, these are just my best guesses and what I would try if I were in your shoes.

My advise would be to not spend too much time, effort, energy and emotion on trying to fix this. The odds are it can't be fixed entirely to your satisfaction. Don't spend 3 hours trying to fix this if you can remove it and re-laminate it and re-edge it in 3 hours. - or, you could live with it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC